Acorn Farm is a 4 hectare city farm which is open to the public 7 days per week. Our aim is to provide a quality, affordable and inclusive visitor attraction. In order to do this we strive to keep all of our charges and costs to a minimum to ensure that no one is excluded from visiting us due to financial reasons.
Last year we were proud to welcome over 79,000 visitors.
The farm has strong roots in the local community and we believe that everyone has a valued social role to play within their community, therefore at Acorn Farm we are proud to have people of different ages and abilities working together as a team in all aspects of running the farm.
Attractions include a wide variety of farm animals to stroke and feed; two children’s play areas; a sensory garden and woodland walk.
At weekends and during school holidays additional attractions include our small animal petting area and horse rides for visitors.
Facilities on site include: Our farm shop selling home produced free-range meat, eggs and ice-cream .A selection of souvenirs, sweets and drinks are also on sale; a café and our seasonal garden centre which sells a wide selection of tubs, baskets and bedding plants during the spring and summer. We also have a room available for hire for children’s birthday parties.
We hold a number of events throughout the year including a Halloween Party and Christmas Grotto. We also run farm themed activity days during school holidays.
We provide a comprehensive educational service which includes guided tours of the farm site for school groups: an Incubator hire service where we rent out incubators and fertile eggs to schools so they can hatch the chicks in the classroom.
We also have a mobile farm unit which takes animals out to groups in the community who may otherwise be unable to access our services. Groups include nurseries, primary and secondary schools, schools for children with complex needs, residential and nursing homes, secure units and groups who provide support for refugees or the children of victims of domestic violence. We usually take a selection of animals including sheep, goats, rabbits, guinea pigs, chickens and ducks. Kids, lambs, ducklings and chicks are also taken when available.
We are constantly improving the service, which we offer to the local community by acting on feedback received from our visitors.
HOW CAN BUSINESSES HELP
- Volunteers for:
– Father Christmas – [1-2 hours for visiting schools.]
– Help at Halloween Event
– Help at Christmas Grotto
– Help with routine maintenance tasks around farm e.g. Painting, Gardening
- Sponsorship for:
– Halloween Event
– Christmas Grotto –so a special group e.g. Children who have been victims of domestic violence/refugee children or children with profound disabilities could have their grotto visit funded.
– Easter Trail
– Football Kit [Shirts, shorts and socks] for the people we support who play in a day centre league and are the current champions!
– T shirt with Acorn logo for staff who go out to schools on the Animobile.
- Companies promoting our attraction and facilities to their staff e.g. through company intranet:
– Visitor Attraction
– Garden plant sales including tubs and baskets
– Home produced free range meat, eggs and ice cream
– Birthday party room for hire
– School visits
– Supported activities for people with disabilities