The Chambers of Commerce from Knowsley and St Helens are working together to seek your views regarding a change that will have impact on vehicles travelling into the Greater Manchester area.
Operators of commercial and passenger vehicles that are more than 4 years old are facing some stark choices with the introduction of the Greater Manchester Clean Air Zone in 2021.
Vehicles entering the 500 square mile zone after that date will be hit with hefty penalties if they do not meet the Euro Emission 6 Standard (Euro 6). Euro 6 engines became mandatory for all vehicles manufactured from 1st September 2015. Any vehicle manufactured before this date, is unlikely to meet the emission requirements.
The Clean Air Zone will:-
- Cover all 10 Greater Manchester local council areas. It is an area of over 500 square miles and has a population of almost 3 million people.
- Apply to local roads (not motorways and some main trunk roads managed by Highways England).
- Operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Mean a daily penalty for non-compliant vehicles driving into, inside and through Greater Manchester
Which Vehicles are affected?
- Vehicles affected by the Clean Air Zone and the daily penalties they face from 2021 are:-
- HGV’s (vehicles with a GVW over 3.5 Tonnes). Penalty £100 p/day
- Buses & Coaches. Penalty £100 p/day
- Vans, Minibuses, Motorhomes and Motorised horse boxes. Penalty £7.50 p/day
- Taxis/Private hire vehicles. Penalty £7.50 p/day
* Originally planned for 2023, but now proposed for 2021.
Click this link ( G Manchester clean air article V4 (2) ) for a more extensive summary of the changes and potential impact. Please email your feedback on your views so that we can gather business reaction. email@example.com